For the next 3 months I have a project for my A-Level Photography.
I have to take at least 15 shoots (shoots are 35-50 images) of my chosen subject, which is street photography.
This will branch off into skating culture, some nice building architect and structures that I see, and maybe the people in the areas that I am located, I've seen a lot of photographs of homeless people which are surrounded by the ignorant passers-by which I would like to re-create myself also.
 |
| This image taken of the Cardiff Library looks very modern and sharp, the only thing I don't like about it is the over hang at the top of the building, if there were no overhang then it would look much cleaner, which tells me I need to find better buildings. |
This project has already started and I have already taken 1 shoot in Cardiff, UK. I will post around 35 images although I took over 100, and I will include some of my personal favourites which were taken in the shoot and analyse them in minor detail.


 |
| I find this picture quite satisfying if it wasn't for the street lamp. Although if the street lamp was in the very centre of the building shot (in the black line) then it may look nice too. But I do like this photo as if all reflects off the bus really nicely. |
 |
| In this image, I like the repetition of the lights, not happy about how non-straight the framing is though, I'm not sure how it was so tilted, whenever I go back I can get a nicer shot of it and maybe get an eye level shot of the lights too. Also, my eyes go directly towards the lights, then follow the lights outside into the brighter part of the image. |
 |
| As we were walking through the old arcades of Cardiff I had to zig-zag my way through the crowd and had my camera on ready for any opportunity, I lifted it up and took a quick shot of the light in front of me, if there were less people around me I could have taken a nicer, sharper image of this light, you can see that it's slightly blurry but I do like how my eyes follow all of the arcade and towards the very end. |
 |
We walked into RouteOne to look at some clothes, having a PlayStation 3 built into the wall with Skate 3 on, we stayed for much longer than expected, why not? I was on my camera and turned it towards my friends without even looking, snapped this, I like how everything in this image has got quite a bland, nude colour palette which sort of makes the controller stand out. However you want to look at it, this photo is polysemic which means that it can have different meanings. I thought of the new generation that we are in, showing no faces it still shows the type of generation we are, the gamepad standing out in all blue, the next things your eyes could lead to is the bright blurry hand on the right of it, holding a mobile. To me it can sum up a lot of this generation, although to other people it can mean a completely different thing.
|













 |
This one the only picture I could capture with homeless mixed with working class (and higher) people. Overall the shot isn't good at all but it includes a homeless guy in what may be his normal day sleeping area, he's next to a very posh restaurant. I want to capture someone receiving money or getting ignored, both shots would speak meaning. Even though it's already been created before, it's still something I would like to experience and capture myself. |
 |
This shot is taken from the other side of the road, my first time taking a picture of a homeless person while they're looking straight at me, kinda felt awkward and hard to just aim the camera at him. But this shot shows both man and dog struggling, bottle of water and a dogs bowl on the dogs side, then a duffel bag on the man's side. If you look at the woman in the image she seems to be looking away from the guy, maybe this shows guilt that she can't even look him in the eye at all? I've also thought a bit more deeply about this, on the left side there is a grey sort of feeling and colour including the cold, grey, metal fence, then over the other side of the image shows more light, yellows, greens, two people not including the homeless guy, and a red 'Spar' reflection, this has a more positive side. Which got me thinking that the homeless guy is sitting over the brighter sight, without even realising it, it just seems like a cool thing to think about. (I also gave him some money has he's now on my camera) |
 |
| This is the last photo I'm analysing, I haven't analysed anything extremely deep, only the stories behind what the photos could tell, I'm going to go straight in and say that this is one of my friends sitting down outside the Premier Inn (Cardiff). This is similar to what I would hope to capture, it's not just homeless people I want to capture, it's the mix between different classes right in front of your eyes, Precariat (is a social class, look it up), working class and the established working class. |







Reviewing my whole shoot, I guess it was pretty successful, but pretty normal compared to the pictures I've taken before, for me to get a nicer looking shoot I will play around with the white balance to get different looking shots, I'm not sure when I'm at Cardiff next, my next shoot may be in a different location but I will definitely be going back there.
Thanks for reading if you got to the very bottom, comment any constructive criticism that you feel I may need.
No comments:
Post a Comment